Sunday, May 17, 2015

Crème Fraîche

Do you like sour cream?  Yes? Then let me introduce you to sour cream's older and prettier sister, Crème Fraîche. Don't get me wrong, I adore sour cream, but crème fraîche is richer, silkier and just delectable. Also, it is very expensive....that is when you can find it. I live in Sparta, TN and no one here would even know what it is, let alone carry it in their stores. Have I ever mentioned that my husband is French? Well he is, and crème fraîche is a must in our home, like many other French delicacies. Being that it is impossible to find, I had to come up with a way to make it and I succeeded!
First, take a look at the glorious stuff:


Creme Fraiche


















Makes me swoon! This is dead simple to make. When I show you how, you will be angry if you ever see it for $8 a pot. Ready? Here is how it works.

Crème Fraîche

-16 oz container of Whipping Cream, doesn't matter if its pasteurized or unpasteurized..people will tell you it does, but they are liars.

-4 tablespoons of buttermilk. Make sure it is whole and not the low-fat kind, this does matter in that the low-fat kind will make a runnier crème fraîche.

Directions: 
1. Pour the whipping cream into a little container that you can cover in the fridge. 
2. Pour in your 4 tablespoons of buttermilk. 
3. Stir well. 
Directions: 
Cover with some cheese cloth or loosely with a paper towel. I use cheese cloth and a rubber band...fancy I know! 

 Let it sit for 24 to 48 hours somewhere on your counter. Now listen, really let it sit out. It won't mold or go bad, well actually what you WANT it to do is go bad, so this works. When it is as thick as sour cream or a bit thicker, cover it and put it in the fridge. It will stay good for 2 weeks or more. 

Put it on anything you would use sour cream for or be like me and eat it by the spoon. It is divine. Also, laugh at any store that wants an arm and a leg for it, because yours tastes better! 


No comments:

Post a Comment