Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Coconut Sundae

I love coconut. I used to hate coconut. These two things are true. When I was a kid, coconut was the grossest thing imaginable to me! I refused anything with it. I think it took me to my mid-twenties before I realized how foolish I had been and began to adore this wonderful food.


Today, I got to thinking...what IS a coconut? Is it a fruit or a true nut (like me)?  According to the Library of Congress researchers, "Botanically speaking, a coconut is a fibrous one-seeded drupe, also known as a dry drupe. However, when using loose definitions, the coconut can be all three: a fruit, a nut, and a seed." Who knew?  If you want to read the whole article, which tells you everything you could possibly want to know about coconuts, here is the link. It is a good one.

I only bring up the lovely coconut because last night I made a Coconut Sundae that was fantastic! It was so good that my hubby, who hates desserts unless they are banana splits, raved about it. That never happens!

To backtrack, I really liked the sundae that the Outback used to have, Sydney's Sinful Sundae. Remember that one? It was a ball of  ice cream coated with crunchy coconut with chocolate and whipped cream. Sadly, it isn't listed on their menu anymore...maybe you can still ask for it? If you can, you should! But, anyway, I decided last night that I had to have one. HAD to have it. I had some fresh coconut in the fridge, ice cream and toppings.. let's do this! In the end, it tasted exactly like it. Perfect, crunchy and delicious. Mission accomplished.



The photo leaves a bit to be desired, I was in too big of a hurry to eat it to do the picture taking justice. But you can see, it is divine. The best part, it is so easy that anyone can make it. 

Crunchy Coconut Sundae
Makes 2 sundaes
  • 2 big balls of vanilla ice cream
  • 1 cup of toasted coconut
  • Chocolate syrup
  • 3 strawberries
  • Whipped cream
  1. Preheat your over to around 275 - 300 degrees. 
  2. Take your shredded coconut, fresh or bagged, sweet or not, and spread it on a baking pan. Put it in for 10 minutes then check every 5 minutes to make sure it doesn't burn. You will need to stir it around to make sure it toasts evenly. This is super easy to do, so don't be nervous. You will want to put it on everything after this!
  3. After the coconut is toasted, let it cool completely, then put it in a bowl that will allow you to roll a ball of ice cream in it. 
  4. Get two pretty plates (or ugly ones, this part doesn't matter) and drizzle a circle of chocolate syrup around the edge.
  5. Quarter two of the strawberries and place evenly around the plates, 4 pieces in each, as in the picture.
  6. Scoop out an amount of ice cream about as big as your fist. Use your hands to shape it roughly into a ball. Roll this in the coconut until it is covered, really thickly covered, then put it in the middle of the chocolate syrup circle.
  7. Drizzle the ice cream heavily with chocolate syrup.
  8. Put a healthy amount of whipped cream on top.
  9. Thinly slice the last strawberry and divide it between the sundaes, on top of the whip cream.
  10. Drizzle just a little chocolate syrup over the top and sprinkle with some of the left over coconut.
  11. Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Youtube Betting - vimeo
    Watch live betting videos 1xbet on YouTube on Vimeo. Watch the 바카라 사이트 latest videos, videos & clips from the youtube converter best youtube_betting_tv. Watch short videos of the YouTube live stream below.

    ReplyDelete