Friday, December 4, 2015

Curried Rice

I have fallen in love, a deep true love that I know will last a lifetime....with Basmati rice. I have had it in Indian restaurants and adored it, but when I tried at home, fizzzzzle.  Well, let me tell you that has changed. The key to success with Basmati is all in the cooking process.  I had a rice cooker, yes, shameful. I thought it was the bee's knees. No, it has kept me chained to bland, non-fluffy rice!  I am going to show you how to make delicious, fluffy, Basmati rice and this technique works on jasmine and regular too. This is how you get the great, separate grains!  Oh and I will give you the best curried rice recipe ever while I'm at it!

Curried Rice
Look at this delicious stuff.




Whatever recipe you have that calls for rice, here is how you need to prep your rice:

1. Cover rice with water and wash it. Yes. Wash it! Swish it around good with your hand and then drain the water off, refill it and do it again...total of 4 or 5 times. You can just drain most out, no need to go get the colander.
2. When your water is looking mostly clear after washing, fill it to cover well and let it soak for at least 30 minutes.
3. Finally, drain it well and use as usual for your recipe.

Now for the curried rice. I dream about this rice. In fact, I am cooking some this very moment. It is that good.

Ingredients

        1 medium onion, finely chopped
        3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
        3 tablespoons olive oil
        4 teaspoons curry powder
        2 cups long-grain white rice
        3 1/4 cups water
        2 teaspoons salt

1.  Cook onion and garlic in oil in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened. Add curry powder and rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
2. Add water and salt and bring to a boil, then boil, uncovered, without stirring, until surface of rice is covered with steam holes and grains on top appear dry, about 8 minutes.
3. Reduce heat to as low as possible, then cover pan with a tight-fitting lid and cook 15 minutes more.
4. Remove pan from heat and let rice stand, covered, 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.

That is it. You will roll around on the floor from the goodness.



No comments:

Post a Comment